TheWest Palm BeachVeterans Affairs Medical Center is recruiting forseveral Nurse Practitioners and/or Physician Assistants. The Nurse Practitioners or Physician Assistants will function withinMental Health and Behavioral ScienceService. The incumbent may work out of the West Palm Beach Medical Center and/or Community Based OutpatientClinics (CBOC). Incumbent may travel to outlying CBOC's as assigned. May require the incumbent to work nights and weekends. The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Providing psychiatric and medical care to Veterans and eligible dependents at the Medical Center.
- Performing history and physical examinations, psychiatric interviews, ordering appropriate lab tests and studies (to include EKG, PPD, X-rays, CTs, MRIs, and other studies as appropriate) and interpreting the results of those tests and studies for outpatients.
- Ordering consultations to other specialties as clinically indicated in the care of the patients.
- Making clinical determinations and diagnoses (utilizing ICD-10 and/or DSM5), ordering and prescribing medications, performing basic medical procedures, facilitating inpatient admissions and admission orders, assisting with the Baker Act evaluations and providing patient education and basic mental healthsupport/counseling/interventional services, as well as other routine duties as assigned.
- Modifying services to best meet the treatment needs of Veterans and to promote efficient practice, coordinating with other services offered in the treatment program and assuring such services are complementary and comprehensive.
- Consulting and liaising with other Mental Health programs, as well as other servicesin the Medical Center to provide needed care and services.
- Providing services while utilizing professional skill, objectively, insight, advanced clinical training, and experience to interpret data and to identify viable treatment options and recognizing potential high risk factors, acuity and needs for services.
- Initiating, following through and evaluating the efficacy of interventions.
- Performing history and physical examinations and providing, or making recommendations for, ongoing care of Veterans admitted to the inpatient Mental Health unit, and those admitted to Medical units who require co-management by Mental Health.
- Participating in quality management, clinical pertinence reviews, peer reviews and/or participating in program evaluation pertinent to the clinical effectiveness of treatment programs.
- Timely completion of the Mental Health Suite for all treating patients.
- Maintaining competency and national certification as a nurse practitioner/physician assistant through continuing education and other activities as required for the position and their licensure.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and evening hour tours vary; may be required to work afterhours, holidays and on-call. The incumbents will be required to work at the West Palm Beach Medical Center and/orCBOC's.
Functional Statement Title/#: Nurse Practitioner/#000000 or Physician Assistant/#000000
In order to qualify for this position you must meet the following requirements:
Nurse Practitioner Qualification Requirements:
- United States Citizen
- Licensed or otherwise recognized as a Nurse Practitioner in any state.
- Possess a Master's degree from a program accredited by the NLNAC or CCNE.
- Maintain a full and current certification as a Nurse Practitioner from the American Nurses Association or another nationally recognized certifying body.
- Possess a Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Certification.
Physician Assistant Qualification Requirements:
- United States Citizen
- Graduate of a PA training program, or of a surgical assistant program which is accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor organizations; and
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited PA training program or in another health sciences related field from an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Current and continuous certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA). Note: Recent PA graduates who are eligible to take the Physician Assistant National Certifying Examination (PANCE) may be employed by VA on a temporary basis for a period not to exceed two years. Failure to obtain license within two years will result in termination.
In addition to the qualification requirements listed above, successful candidates will also possess the following preferred qualifications:
- Experienceand extensive knowledge in the field of Mental Health.
- Possess prescriptive authority.
- Ability to work independently and make highly competent professional judgments and decisions to provide support for physicians.
- Evidence of solid clinical acumen.
- Ability to work on an interdisciplinary team.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference: This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements: This position requires visual acuity, keen hearing, clear distinctive speech, and manual dexterity. This position requires potentially long periods of continued walking, standing, stooping, sitting, bending, pulling, and pushing. Transferring patients and objects may be required. The incumbent may be exposed to infected patients and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing in isolation situations or operative/invasive procedures. The incumbent may occasionally be exposed to patients who are combative secondary to delirium, dementia, or psychiatric disorders. The incumbent must be a mature, flexible, sensible individual capable of working effectively in stressful situations, able to shift priorities based on patient needs.You must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. CV or Resume (Required).
2. VA Form 10-2850a - Application for NurseandNurse Anesthetist (Available at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850a-fill.pdf) or VA Form 10-2850c - Application for Associated Health Occupations (Available at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850c-fill.pdf) (Required).
3. If prior military service, include all copies of your DD Forms 214 or proof of service(Required). Applicants claiming preference based on service-connected disability, or based on being the spouse or mother of a disabled or deceased Veteran, must also complete and submit an SF 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference (available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf).
4. If currently employed in the VA system, include latest SF-50 - Notification of Personnel Action. (Required).
5. Proof of Psychiatric-Mental Health Certification (Required for Nurse Practitioners).
Please use this checklist to ensure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1951520.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.