POSITION OVERVIEW: This is a Physician position with the Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Service located at Malcom Randall Medical Center in Gainesville, FL. The assignment carries responsibility for providing Physiatry services to Veteran patients within the North Florida/South Georgia Veterans Health System.Theselectee will be a member of the Polytrauma Support Clinic Team (PSCT) within the Polytrauma System of Care at the NFSG VHS, responsible for providing second level TBI evaluations for the mild TBI population, and provision of ongoing comprehensive care to this population.Experience in leading a power mobility clinic is a plus. The incumbent must be capable of providing physical medicine and rehabilitation consultation services as necessary in wide range of areas including neurologic, orthopedic, geriatric, and rheumatologic rehabilitation. This position also calls for general expertise in the rehabilitation of common conditions such as stroke, spinal cord injury, traumatic brain injury, joint replacement, and amputation. The incumbent must be prepared to act as an interdisciplinary team leader and member, and may be called to provide supervision to occupational, physical, recreational, and kinesiotherapists. Theselectee may also be asked to provide instruction to students and residents. Good team work and patient relations are required. This position is located within NF/SGVHS, a large level 1a, highly affiliated facility.Academic affiliations with the University of Florida are available, but not required.
* Primary function is direct patient care.Plans, develops, and implements comprehensive, complex treatment and care management programs for individual patients or groups of patients to relieve pain, restore or enhance performance, and maximize ability to function as independently as possible.
* Performs appropriate assessments, evaluations, and treatments, involved in the prevention and management of physical disability, movement dysfunction, and pain resulting from injury, disease, disability, or other health-related conditions.
* Additional functions include the interpretation of tests and measurements to assess normal parameters of physiological functions as well as pathophysiological, pathomechanical, electrophysiological, ergonomic, and developmental deficits of bodily systems to determine diagnosis, treatment, prognosis, and prevention.
* This physiatrist maintains communication with Veteran's primary care provider, and makes appropriate referrals to allied health professionals within PMRS (PT, OT, RT, KT), as well as specialty care providers outside PMRS to ensure implementation of their recommended plan of care.
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Basic Requirements:
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
- Citizenship of the United States. Noncitizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with Department of Veterans Affairs policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of a first-year residency, or its equivalent, approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which it was completed.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. Physical Requirements:There are no physical requirements for providers.They must only be able to practice medicine according to their privileges, in a manner that presents no danger to themselves or others.
All applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with VA.
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document types(s):
* Curriculum Vitae
Please use this checklist to ensure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc.You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents:You are encouraged to apply online.Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1960563.
NOTE:If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.